Click for information on the Nursing Program
Each school in the Griffin-Spalding County School System has a full time nurse. The system-wide staff consists of a nursing supervisor, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and two nursing services paraprofessional positions.
School nurses serve as both medical care providers and as educators. School nurses have expanded their roles. The following services are offered:
- Offer consultative, interpretive, referral and follow up services to students, parents, faculty and staff regarding health issues
- Provide educational programs to students and faculty
- Serve as a resource person for Student Support Teams and special education personnel in applicable situations
- Assess the health needs of children
- Determine procedures to be used in cases of illness and injury of students in cooperation with administrators, faculty, parents, physician, etc.
- Assist schools in education, prevention, and control of communicable diseases
- Assist in scoliosis screening, dental screening, vision and hearing screening
- Monitor immunization records.
Other Screenings Offered:
Eye glasses (through school social workers)