skip to main content

February 12, 2020
RE: Public School Choice for the 202-2021 School Year
Dear Parents,
Pursuant to House Bill 251 and Senate Bill 10, we are formally notifying you of the school choice options for the upcoming 202-2021 school year. If you have a child currently enrolled in Griffin-Spalding County Schools, you have the option to request a transfer for your child to another public school with available space in the school district. The schools with available space are listed below:
Elementary Schools: Anne Street, Beaverbrook, Cowan Road, Moore, and Orrs
Middle Schools: Cowan Road, Kennedy Road
High Schools: None Available
As a parent or guardian, you may request to have your child transferred to one of the above mentioned schools within your school district of residence. Please keep in mind if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district the law requires that you assume all costs and responsibilities related to transportation of your child to and from the school for the duration of enrollment in that school. In addition, you are responsible for making sure that your child arrives at school in sufficient time to prevent the child from being tardy. Excessive tardies, early dismissals, late pick-ups after school hours, excessive absences and discipline problems are grounds for having your school choice transfer revoked.
In order to process your request, you will need to complete the "Public School Choice Transfer Request Form". For your convenience, this form is available on the school system website at and at the Parent Service Building located at 234 E. Taylor Street, Griffin, GA 30224. Please note that you will be required to provide proof that you reside in Spalding County. The upper-right hand corner of the Public School Choice Transfer Request Form must be completed by the Student Service Department prior to the form being submitted for consideration.
Requests must be hand-delivered or mailed to Griffin-Spalding County Schools, Student Service Department, 234 E. Taylor Street, Griffin, GA 30224. Requests will be accepted from February 24, 2020 until 4:00p.m. on Friday, March 27,2020.
In the event a particular school has available space and the number of transfer requests exceeds the remaining available capacity, transfer requests made pursuant to HB 251 or SB 10 will be reviewed and approved or denied based on a lottery. You will be notified by email and/or mail of your transfer request status. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Student Services Department at (770)229-3710 ext. 10335.
James D. Smith

Senate Bill 10 Frequently Asked Questions:

How does it work? Eligible special needs students can request a transfer under the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship (GSNS).
What transfer options are available for the 2020-2021 school year?  Special needs students may request to transfer to:
  •      Another Public School within Spalding County
  •      Another Public School District outside of Spalding County
  •      One of the three state schools for the blind or deaf
  •      A private school authorized to participate in the GSNS Program. Funds received through GSNS Program can only be used to pay for tuition and fees at a private school authorized by the State Board of Education to participate in the program. 
Is bus transportation provided?  Transportation is NOT provided.
How do I apply?  Parents of special needs students are notified via annual meeting and electronically regarding the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program.
Parents must contact the GADOE; Fill out a School Choice Transfer Request Form or the GSNS Program Form if interested in an internal transfer.
The School Transfer Form is available at the Parent Service Center, 234 E. Taylor Street, Griffin, Georgia, on the school system website, and on the Georgia Department of Education website.
What is the deadline? March 27, 2020 for public school transfer requests.
Want to know more? Please visit the Georgia Department of Education website at; or call Cindy Sharp at 770-229-3710 ext. 10328

Are you a student, parent, or community member? Keep in touch with us: